Back to top

Living Quarters – Insulation & Sealing

In The Beginning….

The Sundowner was a weekender trailer, meaning it is not finished off with full living quarters, only basic items like indoor/outdoor carpet, a power outlet and in our case, an AC unit on the roof.  There is one basic light inside and the mount for the saddle rack.

 

Seeing that my allergies would have nothing to do with sharing sleeping space with the tack, we had that moved to the rear of the trailer (where there was a secondary swing out mount).  We also had plans to finish out the trailer with dry living quarters, so no sink or head.  We have yet to camp somewhere without those facilities on-site, and there simply was not the space to do so.  Also, I really dislike cleaning tanks, and having to deal with LP in a camper if at all possible.

 

We spent the season of 2016 trying to figure out  how to best make use of the space, and looked at other trailers at the Horse Expo and online to get ideas on how to finish ours out.  While we have finally come up with a layout, we’ll be exploring the horse expo again in a few weeks to review finishes and details inside.  To get a jump, I have started insulating the trailer, and removing the old carpet and floor to ensure we locate and address and area of concern before we close up the walls.

 

Here is what we found:

  • Space in the neck where wires come inside, allowing bees and bugs to enter.  Sealing this off.
  • Minor surface rust in a few places inside, treated and finished with POR-15.
  • Numerous holes in the bottom of trailer, will be mostly sealed except a few to any potential moisture drainage.

Here are a few photos from the initial progress last Summer to begin insulation, and then the last few of this Spring when we finished removing the inner panels, TV, carpet and flooring.  You can see the few minor spots of concern with rust to address.

 

 

Once this is completed, the rest of the insulation and hole sealing will be wrapped up, and we can start adding the furring strips to have something to mount the cabinets and rest of the interior to.

 

For the materials we used.

  • 1″ foil faced insulation.  Some areas had white foam from the factory, but it was not well fit, and low R-value.  Not well suited for fall camping in MN.
  • Liquid Nails construction adhesive. Help to hold in place, especially on the roof.
  • Metal duct tape.  added adhesion on the frame, and additional vapor barrier on the seams.

 

Check out the other posts for the 12V charging system, and overall electrification of the space.