Back to top

Foot thru the floor! [no more]

Since I picked up Trouble back in the fall of 2013, she’s had a little it of a Flintstones thing going on with the floorboards.  Granted the 30 years of living in a shed has kept many things in good condition, things like rotting floor-boards weren’t on the list of things that were OK.  I had just screwed in some tin over the holes for the past few years to try and keep moisture, exhaust, and mice out.

 

I picked up both front floor pans and toe boards (only ended up using the driver’s toe board). Having zero prior experience in floor-pan replacement, I did quite a bit of consulting on YouTube for information.  Of course, finding a complete variety of techniques between show-worthy restoration and garage hack, I settled on a mid-point I would be happy with.

 

So, after tracing out the rough outline of where the new pans would go in, and lots of cutting of the old garbage, I had new space to work with.  I left about 1/2″ of overhang for clamping and welding use of the new pan.  I did read up on priming with zinc-based primer for better results for welding in the new panels which I did.

 

As you can see in the photos, I did spot weld in a number of places along the way.  Then, slowly working my way around the edge so it did not warp from heat.  After a weekend of grinding, priming, and welding the new metal was in.  I did not end up using the full toe-board on the driver’s side, as some parts where the pedals go thru were not available, and I was able to save that area as there was no rust.

 

All in all, while it was a tedious process to fit everything in place, the mice have stayed out, the exhaust has stayed out, and I can no longer see the roads beneath my feet.

52 Chevy Floorpans
52 Chevy Floorpans
52 Chevy Floorpans
52 Chevy Floorpans
52 Chevy Floorpans