Back to top

12 Volt DC Charging System Setup

Following up to the solar charging unit I installed on my Starcraft pop-up camper, I thought it would be wise to add a similar system to the Sundowner. In hindsight, 50% of the sites we visited last year did not have power in the horse area, it was a good idea....

Read More

Suspension Upgrade on Norris

One of the items on Norris that was about due for replacement based on both feel and online discussion was the shocks. One recent weekend I decided it was time for the suspension upgrade. I spent most of the winter months looking at various Rancho and Bilstein. When it came down to ordering, it was 50/50 on the two brands based on comments. ...

Read More

Ball Joint Replacement On A 2005 F-350

[vc_row][vc_column][rev_slider_vc alias="truck-norris"][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]One of the points of concern on Norris when we purchased it, was ball joint replacement.  The inspection showed they were worn, which was causing some cupping of the front tires and vibration in steering.  It actually turned out to be the primary cause of the road noise, and secondary cause of the rough ride. After doing a bit of checking online with various sources, I decided on picking up some Moog ball joints.  I...

Read More

Truck Norris

In the Spring of 2016, MissTris and I picked up a 2005 F350. We also purchased a 1999 Sundowner, so we could pull the horses around the region for riding and camping. These both came from Arena Trailer Sales in Cannon Falls....

Read More

Sundowner Project

I'll need to provide a little backstory on the Sundowner project here as some time has passed since we first started this endeavor. In the sprinter of 2016, MissTris and I went in search of a horse trailer, and another horse so I could take up riding with her. We were initially seeking a bumper pull to hook up to our Tahoe. After looking around, we found that the bumper pull would be OK...

Read More

Carb Rebuild

After many seasons of a carb that is just horrible, both age and design, it was time for a carb rebuild. A few years back, the large diaphragm at the top of the carb split 5 miles from home. I nursed it home with a combination of choke and pedal fiddling. Luckily, I had a spare junk carb in the trunk. The rubber was still in great shape. That’s lasted me the last...

Read More

Spitfire Updates – June 25th, 2012

I finally was able to get brakes completely bled, full of new fluid and a nice firm pedal.  I also fixed the brake light switch that was damaged when I pulled off the original master cylinder.  So, short of now needing to replace the front calipers (front left pulls harder than right) We are pretty much set. I've gone over both front brakes in the past, honed the cylinders, and I think after nearly 40 years,...

Read More

Spitfire Updates – May 20, 2011

After attempting to rebuild the master cylinder, it seems that the bore of the cylinder is just tired, as the seals didn't fix the slow leak.  In fact, new seals sped up the leak.  So, I broke down and ordered a replacement last week.  Hoping it will arrive this week so I can give the old G-RAFFE a spin around the block. Once that is done, I'll be tackling the valve cover gasket and the tranny...

Read More

Spitfire Updates, May 1 – 2012

Last night I started digging into the brake cylinder, it needs to be pulled and have the seals replaced.  I have one brake line left to free, and then I'll be able to get it out.  I'm also considering as long as I have it off now, that I should clean it up, and put it back on nice and shiny.  Less to do when I actually do the frame cut-over is how I see...

Read More